Friday, June 19, 2009

Henryetta...I'll go...

Last week my mom asked my sister and I to go with her to Henryetta...her hometown. I wasn't big on the idea because I just had so much to do, but I knew it would mean so much to my mom if we would go...so we did...Christy, Kenzie and Brooke and I went. My Aunt Debbie, my mom's sis, still lives there in the same old house. She lives a totally different life style than my mom raised us in and you probably couldn't meet 2 sisters so completely opposite. I have so much to say about it all, but should probably keep it to myself in fear of someone getting the wrong impression.
A little background about my mom...she was raised in a very poor environment, her dad was drunk all the time and once even came in with a gun threatening their family. I remember we would meet him in hotels as a young child...few and far between...he had usually been drinking and we couldn't stay long. We were never allowed to be alone with him...he never came to our house that I can remember and would never attempt too for fear of my dad...it was clear he was not welcome. My Grandma on the other hand was one of the most amazing women I know. She was beautiful and loved me so much. I always felt so loved when I was with her. They were divorced long before I was around. She had filed for divorce over 18 times before it happen. I still miss her after 21 years. Someday i will blog just about her and tell you all about her.
But my parents married when my mom was 16 and my dad was 19. So young...who would have thought they would still be together after 40 years!! She left Henryetta and made a life for herself with my dad. When we go to Henryetta I feel like we are stepping back in time...
I just want to share a few pics of my aunt and her family. This is her daughter Jenny and her kids.

My mom is on the right and her sister is on the left. Debbie actually younger:

This is my daughter Brooke and my great aunt Reva. Reva is my Grandma's sister. I haven't seen her since my cousins funeral a year and half ago. At the funeral, she came in and I heard her voice...and cried like I haven't cried in a long time, her voice sounded so much like my grandmas. I had no idea it would effect me like that...hearing that voice, it was like I couldn't control it and I didn't realize how much I had missed my Grandma until that moment. Today Brooke was sitting next to Reva and Reva grabbed her hand and just held onto it. She teared up and said how much Brooke reminds her of my grandma and how much she missed my grandma. Which Brooke's middle name is Naomi...my grandma's first name. It was a sweet moment...worth the trip. Thank you Jesus.

Today meant a lot to my mom and I was glad I went also. It is great to see family I haven't seen in a long time..reminds you of how much you are loved and how much those relationships mean to you. Thank you Lord for Family. Take time to see those you haven't seen in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love Comments!! If you have something to say...Say it...but have the guts to say who you are at least! Anonymous comments get trashed!