Monday, September 28, 2009

No place like home..

I went to New Orleans with my sister, her family and my parents this weekend. Wow...what a place. I have been thru there a couple of times on our way to rebuild houses down in Louisiana and have always felt an uneasy feeling as we passed thru that city. It is a fun city. Lots to do...amazing food to eat and very pretty in some places with the old buildings. But when it comes down to it. It is a very sad city also. So many lost people wandering around, looking for love and comfort from the things of this world.
I would have to say the most unforgettable street was Bourbon street. Not a place for me at all. I don't drink...did that in HS too much, I only have sex with one man on this earth, I don't like to flash my boobs to people for beads and I don't like to gamble. So yeah...if that makes me a bump on a log, no fun...then that is fine with me. I don't need these things of the world. You could feel the presence of Satan all around us as we walked down the street. But I could also feel the Holy Spirit standing next to me protecting my mind and spirit from the things around me.

It also made my heart so sad...so much work for Jesus needs to be done there..here and anywhere you live. You don't have to go anywhere except walk across the street to your neighbors house to find someone who needs Jesus.
I also made me want to dig deeper. I want to make sure my kids are prepared for the battle Satan wants to forge on them. We pray and read the bible with our kids and talk about God and how he works in our lives. I am so thankful we do that. But some days we let football practice, school work, TV, computer and many things get in the way of those times. We need to get back on the ball again and not let those things rob us from our time spent with God as a family and as individuals.

At church we have been going thru a series of "One Month too Live". I love it. It has been a great reminder for me in so many ways. I am thankful for a church that loves the Lord and partners with us as family to teach our children God's word. I love watching my kids serve at such young ages at church already and I can see how they are taking those opportunities into our community and teaching others about Christ. Watching Lauren...even though she waited till the last minute to get it done...I won't go there..:) last week at See you at the pole. I loved how she looked up the scripture, found friends to read it and lead the time on community in front of her classmates. I see so much ahead of her in the kingdom of GOd. I appreciate that our youth minister took the time to ask her to help in that leadership role. And how Brooke's Sunday School class is making 150 plus Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to pass out to the homeless shelters down town once a month. I love watching my 10 year old be so bold and walk up to these complete strangers and talk to them about Jesus. I think she is going to be a missionary. I keep thinking about that all weekend and how cool it would be if we could go back to NO and do the same thing some day!! One of the weeks for One month to live was...Live Boldy...that one really hit me this weekend in New Orleans...am I living boldly everyday...even when the McDonalds employee is driving me crazy and I really wanted to tell her how I felt about her service...I almost totally lost it. Would she know I am a Christ follower if I was mean to her...NO!! So this weekend was good for me in many ways to remember who I serve and what impact am I making on my family, the community around me, our church family and just every where I go.

I love to travel and see new places and take adventures...but there is no where I would rather be than in my own home. I have an amazing life...
faithful man of God as a husband who cleaned the house, took care of the kids, did the laundry while I was gone...and never gave me a hard time about being gone for one minute and I missed him like crazy!
I have 3 beautiful, obedient, children who are growing to love the Lord and my hearts pray is for them to serve God every day.
I have an amazing family...I love my sister and her family, I love my parents are they are so good to me, I love Matt's family also, they are so good to us!
I have been called to serve an a church that I truly miss going to when I am out of town, I love the encouragement I receive, the word, the worship and the family of friends God has put in our lives there....no their not perfect...but geez...neither am I!! I love that my kids LOVE to go to church...and serve and have made their closes friends there...
I love my friends...I have lots of friends...but I have some that are as close as sisters...you know who you are...I couldn't imagine my live without your support and the laughter you bring me..

Getting away is always good for me...it reminds me of all the blessings I have, how much I love my life...and how much work for the Kingdom needs to be done. It also makes me get our life back in order and not let the things of this world overtake our lives and our time!

Here is my question to end this long O post! sorry!! What are you doing with your family to ensure they are growing daily in Christ? Have you told those around you how much you love them lately? And what are you doing for Christ outside of your home as a family or as an individual? Facebook or email me your comments if you don't want to on here. Seems like that is the best way for many of you!

As you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith.
Colossians 2:-7

Blessings,
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love Comments!! If you have something to say...Say it...but have the guts to say who you are at least! Anonymous comments get trashed!